First, I got to go to the Zauk or Black Market. It is a legal market, but while Mongolia was a part of USSR it was kind of the only place where capitalism was. Enough of the history lesson. I went to the black market to look for a few things. I came back with a blue Mongolian Del, not the computer, but the traditional clothing. I also got two baseball hats so that when it gets warmer I still have something to cover my head. I also went to a store near the Black market and purchased a new pair of shoes. Those shoes have been very nice and I am glad to say my Achilles is not hurting any more.
Later that week I went to the same store I got the shoes at and purchased a black suit. I got the suit for $56. It is a two button black suit, which I intend to use for a celebration here and for my wedding. I promise to post a picture of me in it next post. I am pretty excited about the suit I have already gotten it hemmed to fit me and that only cost $4. So I kind of enjoyed going shopping you could say.
I also got to go to a Russian war monument with a friend here. That was really cool. I got to see almost the entire city from up there. We had to climb about 600 stairs, but that was alright. I was actually not too tired and I figure that is because on average I walk about 3 miles a day here. I got the chance to walk with my friend Matt and his son. It has been a blessing to connect with Matt and his family. Their son reminds me of my niece Grace. Here is video of the inside of the monument.
Zaisan Monument from Todd Hansen on Vimeo.
Here is a photo their son peeking out of the carrier. And another photo of the monument.
The following day after going to the Russian war monument I went to a city in the country side. I was so excited to be able to go out of the city and see the country side. We went to a town called Erdenet, which is about the third largest city in Mongolia. Now the journey was very long and we were in a mini bus for the whole trip. Now the drive there was about 6.5 hours. When we got there we went and visited a few places to see how this city compares to UB. It was still a modern city, but it had less traffic, less crowding, and less pollution. I felt like a tourist taking pictures and just being able to look at the beautiful country side. Mongolia is a very beautiful country. Right now things are still brown, but when everything turns green it will get even more beautiful. Here is a video of how it was like to travel in the mini bus.
Traveling the Country Side from Todd Hansen on Vimeo.
Let’s just say it was bumpy and on the way home we got a flat tire and it was very late when I got home. I also had to teach the next morning. My camera died on the way there but here is a photo of the countryside.
Now Saturday, we went to Terelj, which is like a ger resort camp. You can either rent a ger or stay in a small hotel. Now we only went there for a day but again the countryside was beautiful. A bunch of us American teachers went to the camp. We spent the day relaxing, playing games, eating, and hiking. I have a few pictures of the scenery and the fun we had. It was really a nice day and an encouraging day.
A panorama of part of the camp and mountains around it. I thought it was amazing looking.
The entrance to the camp and I thought I should be in the entrance so you know I went there.
Some using my leather-men to cut cake. It made me laugh to give my knife up because this reminded me of my dad and the many times he uses his knife for things. I guess I am still following in his foot steps.
Two pictures of when I was hiking and climbing some rocks. I enjoyed it very much.
In all the past few weeks I have had the chance to relax and work hard at school. Things are really exciting here. Teaching is a blast and my students are great. I am not counting down the days yet, because I want to just focus on every day being a blessing and a light to the students and people around me.
No comments:
Post a Comment